Thursday, July 30, 2009

Rh Negative

I had an appointment with my OB/GYN yesterday. I got to pee in a cup (always fun for ladies), wrestle with a blood pressure cuff, and give a huge vial of blood. It was a great time!

In talking with my doctor, she revealed that my previous blood work indicated that I am Rh negative. Apparently about 13% of the population is Rh negative, and it really doesn't cause issues for anyone except pregnant people. If my baby is Rh positive, my Rh negative blood will produce antibodies that will attack my baby. We don't know at this point if the baby is Rh positive. There is a chance that Matt is Rh negative too, and then there's really nothing to worry about.

Actually - the doctor said there isn't anything to worry about anyway. There is medication that they will give me in my third trimester to prevent any issues that might occur. The doctor is not worried at all, so I won't worry either.

If you're interested in reading about this Rh negative business, check out this article.

The rest of our appointment was spent with the business office chatting about how much we get to pay for this little baby. We're planning on delivering at Methodist Hospital, because 1) it's a great hospital and 2) they have seriously awesome benefits for Methodist clergy there. Methodist will bill our insurance, and whatever isn't covered will be written off completely. COMPLETELY! Isn't that great? Too bad my doctor's bills aren't covered the same way.

We left feeling excited about our baby, our arms laden with more freebies from the doctor's office. The staff there is so sweet and caring and gentle. It was a great day!

3 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good visit and good outlook on not worrying about the Rh thing- worrying will only make matter worse :)

    Oh and get used to peeing in a cup- you have to do it every visit and it just gets harder as the baby gets bigger!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I am always comparing so just tell me stop when I become a pest. I am Rh negative too. Isaac is positive as are both the kids. About mid-way through the pregnancy I got a shot and within 24 hours after birth. They leave the area a sore and bruised but nothing too bad. I also had to get these shot after each miscarriage in order to make sure the next pregnancy was a healthy one. Enjoy the pregnancy and when you start to doubt just pray. God is taking care of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got the RH negative from me. It will make you very popular at blood donation centers. It's no big deal.

    ReplyDelete